LabRoots – Cannabis Sciences Virtual Event 2019
Patricia Frye, MD – Medical Cannabis Specialist and Lecturer, Takoma Park Alternative Care
Dr. Patricia Frye is a medical cannabis specialist and consultant who evaluates adult and pediatric patients for the use of cannabis medicine in the treatment of chronic pain and other serious, debilitating conditions, like neurodegenerative diseases, autism, seizures, autoimmune, and psychiatric illnesses. A graduate of the University of Maryland School of Medicine, where she also completed her pediatric residency, Dr. Frye continued her post-graduate training in anesthesiology at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, TX. She then moved to Southern California where she practiced pediatrics for Southern California Permanente Group until she retired. In 2015, Dr. Frye was asked to consider a California cannabis telemedicine position, and it was then that she first learned of the healing benefits of the cannabis plant.
Cannabis and the Autistic Spectrum
Several clinical and preclinical studies implicate abnormal endocannabinoid functioning and neuroinflammation as possible mechanisms in the pathophysiology of autism. Correcting these abnormalities may result in reducing or alleviating symptoms such as anxiety, aggression, insomnia, and self-injurious behaviors. We will also discuss the possible benefits and adverse effects that may be attributed to the use of cannabis in this population.
1. To understand how and why cannabis therapy broadly impacts maladaptive behaviors commonly seen in autistic patients.
2. To be able to weigh the possible benefits and risks of cannabis therapy in this population.
Earn PACE Credits:
1. Make sure you’re a registered member of LabRoots (
2. Watch the webinar on YouTube or on the LabRoots Website (
3. Click Here to get your PACE credits (Expiration date – March 28, 2021 06:00 AM):
LabRoots on Social: